Sunday, February 1, 2015

Lucky 13

I had just turned 39 when first diagnosed with FSGS in 2002. Now as I approach my 52nd birthday I decided to reflect on the journey and write an update. In December the 5th anniversary of my transplant passed. It has been a blessing, enabling me to carry on living a relatively normal life. Despite the FSGS recurring in the transplant there have been no problems with rejection and I can't thank my Mum enough for the donation of her kidney.
When asked, I usually describe my physical condition as similar to that of a geriatric. I suppose people think I am being dramatic, but it is as accurate as I can be without boring everyone with the details. For those who are curious this is what I mean.
Most of my struggles now are a result of the various treatments. (I am well aware that without these treatments I would not be here to struggle.) Mainly continued lethargy and general weakness. Then there is the struggle to keep my weight from further gain. (I have given up trying to loose weight) The painful knees, hips and feet make walking problematic for longer periods or up hills. I have trouble caring heavy items or even a full shopping bag. When I do manual activities like build Ikea furniture or exercise with hand weights the capillaries in my hand pop, leaving them sore and bruised. My blood pressure goes down when the weather gets hotter and up when it cools down. My gums grow too long over my teeth and I have strange ridges inside the roof of my mouth. My facial hair is unusually luxuriant and requires regular attention. I bruise readily and my skin is thin and prone to break. I now have a sensitive digestive system that plays up at the slightest provocation. My sense of taste is effected. My perspiration and breath stinks. I have developed sleep apnoea. For my age I have weak bones. I get sinusitis, every night it is hard to breath through my nose. If I don't use eyedrops I get eye bruising from dry eye.  My eyesight has deteriorated at an accelerated rate.  I now wear glasses all the time. My hands shake if I try to do fine work for more that a few minutes. I have to be careful with my diet, and exercise regularly because I am likely to develop diabetes and osteoporosis if I do not. On ladders I have noticed that I am less stable than one would hope so I am not game to clean the gutters anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment